The Stewart Alexander Golf Course was originally known as the Pokuru Golf Club, formed in March 1935. In 1971 the course was moved to its present day location and renamed in honour of the original land owner. Stewart Alexander Golf Club’s first President was K.Jones (Sen).
The original course design was much larger then its present day size, boosting an 18-hole international competition length course of around 7100 metres, and around 6500 metres for club length. It was the largest course in the Waikato, but was before it’s time. So in 1980 the course was altered and shortened to its present day size of 5108 metres.
A superb course on a rolling contour, in an attractive setting with rural views. Defined fairways lined with mature trees, and excellent greens make our course appealing all year round, to golfers of all handicaps. The par 70 course has 7 green bunkers and a fairway bunker with a length of 5108 metres for men and 4798 metres for woman. The fairways have good shape with 2 or 3 doglegs. There are internal and boundary fenced paddocks, which are part of the course and grazed by sheep. In spring the joy of the new lambs is always a pleasure to see.
Stewart Alexander Golf & Country Club is located only 6kms south west of Te Awamutu at 106 Budden Road, Pokuru.